TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Is it legal to post on the internet like (YouTube) documented

Is it legal to post on the internet like (YouTube) documented information about someone with posting emails written by them with showing their email address and posting their name? If it is not legal, what are the ramifications that I may face. Can they sue me, do they have to prove the information is not correct? However any information I post will be documented to be accurate. Or is this possibly criminal? I do not know these answers.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Unless you have a duty to maintain confidentiality of an email address, have not otherwise contracted with the person to not give away their email address, and/or are not illegally in possession of their emails or email addresses, then it is not illegal to post that email address on youtube, given you are not doing it to earn money in some manner.

Further, as long as the email was written to you, then you are free to post this on youtube as well.

Yes, it is possible that you could be sued for some sort of defamation, but they would need to prove that you are making a false statement about them and that it has injured them monetarily. These are very hard claims to prove, and truth is an absolute defense.

There is no criminal liability here unless you have stolen the email or email addresses (through hacking or other computer fraud).

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it legal to mention this person's name, city and state where they live in regard to sending me these emails I may be posting on YouTube?

Yes. A person's name, city and state where they live (and in fact their address or telephone number) are not confidential information. If you have no duty through contract to them to keep the information confidential and you acquired the information legally, then you can post that on the internet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question, is it legal to name the posting in their name so that when their name is XXXXX XXXXX anyone using Google or any search engine, this information will appear in the search?

Yes it is legal. However, your plan may violate the Youtube terms of service and end up causing you to lose access to youtube through your account. One of the youtube terms of service requires that you obey the youtube community guidelines.

The youtube guidelines specifically state:

There is zero tolerance for predatory behavior, stalking, threats, harassment, invading privacy, or the revealing of other members' personal information. Anyone caught doing these things may be permanently banned from YouTube.

If the person who you are putting personal information about up on the youtube is also a member, this could violate the provision.

Again, its legal, but may violate the terms of use.