Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My son is living in a sober-living home. He is being harassed

My son is living in a sober-living home. He is being harassed by the manager and by my son's roommate. If this were a fraternity, I would term the activity going on as a form of hazing. I believe he is being harassed solely for their "personal enjoyment." My son has a mental illness, of which I do not think these people are aware. Their harassment has caused him a great deal of personal agony and done nothing to help his mental stability. It has caused him so much anxiety that he is not able to stay there, even though he is paying rent.

Do I have any basis on which to take these people to court, even if it is just to small-claims court to have the rent he has paid for the last 2 months refunded? I would like to see some disciplinary action taken against the two people doing the harassment, as well as the owner of the facility, but I do not believe that this facility has any licensing requirements.

I would appreciate any help you can provide!
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,

1. What are the requirements for living in this sober living home ?

2. Is it occupied solely by recovering alcoholics and recovering addicts ?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. That you be clean and sober, that you pay your rent on time, that you complete your assigned chore once a week, and that you follow the house rules , which are not written down, but delivered orally to the resident.
2. I can't answer that. I believe that it may be open to anyone who fits the requirements listed in #1. Other sober living homes where my son (age 28) has lived have had people living there who wanted a low-cost place to live. The rent at his current home is $500/month or $125/week. My son paid by the week for the first 5 weeks, because of the harassment. He decided he could tolerate it and we paid $500 for the month of September. I have cancelled checks to prove the amount.

Thank you for your reply and your additional information,

I am very sorry to hear of the harassment your son is experiencing because this is not the philosophy of a sober living house, in fact, it is far from it. I did some research on sober living homes and found that they are structured on the 12-Step Principles of Alcoholics Anonymous and their philosophy is to provide a positive living experience in a sober environment, free from drugs and alcohol. Many residents have just come from a rehab, so they are not very stable themselves with their new sobriety.

You asked if there was any basis on which you could take them to Court. In order to accurately Answer your question, you would have to ask your son what type of paperwork they had him sign when he became a resident, what the sober house was offering your son if he lived there, and what representations they made to your son. If it was nothing more than a place for those who wanted a low cost place to live, then your son was a tenant there. If, on the other hand, the sober house made representations to your son as to the safety of the environment, then your son might have a case against them. If they were aware of his mental state and harassed them, there would be an even stronger case against them.

Keeping all of the above in mind, you should ask your son to show you all of the paperwork they gave him when he first started his residency in the Sober living home. Then you will be able to see if they breached any promises they made to your son and you would be on much firmer ground in bringing an action against the sober living house, the manager, and the owner,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did not reveal that he has a mental illness because I did not feel there was a need for them to know that information, and I did not want that info to be used against my son. All we said was that he took medication, and in my presence he was told to take his medication as prescribed. I will ask him about any paperwork he signed.

This is what I expected to hear. I do intend to ask for a meeting with the property manager, the manager of the home and the roommate and firmly let them know the trouble they have caused, that they are based on the principles of AA, that they will need to answer to a Higher Being for their actions, and that what they have done is both shameful and morally wrong. I also intend to report to the agency that posted the notice of openings in this sober-living home of the situation and ask that they remove this home from their list of recommended sober-living homes.

I really appreciate your help!

You might want to arm yourself with AA's 12 Steps which I looked up for you. You might also want to stress Steps 8 through 12 which the manager should be practicing and should be serving as a role model for all the residents,

THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become
unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to
sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we
understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature
of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with
God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
affairs.

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.