How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16970
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was engaged to someone from Missouri. I live in Wisconsin.

Resolved Question:

I was engaged to someone from Missouri. I live in Wisconsin. The engagement was only for two months, I broke it off because we both were not emotionally ready for the commitment. She now wants me to pay for her bridal dress, veil, deposit for wedding venue, bridesmaid dresses, possible gift of honeymoon expenses purchased as a gift from her sister, and possible costs of flights for her siblings. The ring was purchased in Wisconsin, and she still has it. Under Missouri law, am I liable for these expenses? The minimum amount they expect me to pay is $1,100. The contracts they expect payment for were signed by bride and or her family in Missouri. What is my legal obligation under Missouri contract law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.

On the issue of the ring, it is really going to depend on where you gave her the ring and whether or not you can obtain jurisdiction over her in that state.

Missouri would allow her to keep the ring since you broke off the engagement. Wisconsin would require that the ring come back to you. If you gave her the ring in Missouri, that is actually where the gift took place. If in Wisconsin, then that is where the gift took place. Where the gift was given will play the greatest role in which state's law applies, regardless of where the claim is filed in court.

Now, on the issue of expenses, they can legally request a return of the expenses that they incurred, but only half would be a reasonable argument. Additionally, they would have to establish which expenses were not recoverable by them. For instance, her bridal dress is still her property. She, presumably, would get married some day and should be able to use that dress or obtain some funds from it. Payment in full is unreasonable. Deposits for the location, non-refundable tickets, DJ, etc. are more reasonable expenses that have to value now, because the date won't be used.

So, they'll have to do more than say there were "possible" expenses. You don't have to pay for a wedding that didn't happen. It is just reasonable to request a recoupment of losses that they can derive no benefit from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ring was given in Missouri (so I assume she has a right to the ring).


She wrote the details of expenses I am to pay in a letter. I'm assuming I should write a letter back, to have a written record of this. In a letter back, would you recommend I offer to split the expenses for the bridal gown/veil and wedding venue, which would be about $500. Then state in the letter that this is the end of all financial discussions about a wedding that never occurred. (Ending discussion of bridesmaid dresses, honeymoon gift, and sibling flights.).


Thank you.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If given in Missouri, then yes Missouri law would apply as that is where the gift took place. Where you bought the ring isn't really relevant. The issue is the gift and whether or not it is considered a "conditional gift" meaning that the gift had a condition of marriage on it, such that only marriage would complete the transfer. Since the issue is then, the gift, the location of the transfer is the law that would apply, which is Missouri and Missouri law would allow her to keep the ring.

You would certainly want some sort of statement from her, signed, that any payment from you ends the discussion of expenses. If you can walk away paying $500, that's really going to end up costing you much less than having to fly back to Missouri to deal with a small claims suit.

I think it is reasonable to offer her half.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16970
Experience: Lawyer and legal specialist.
Allen M., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.