How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

15 years ago, I made a deposit to my atm and did cash back

This answer was rated:

15 years ago, I made a deposit to my atm and did cash back of $200. A few days later, I found the check that I thought I had deposited in my coat pocket which means there was nothing in the deposit envelope. I immediately went to the bank to deposit the check but the atm took my card and said that my account was closed and i needed to see a teller. I got scared so I left without seeing a teller or making the corrected deposit. Do I need to be worried about being arrested for this? The bank no longer exists so I don't know how to clear this up or if it's ok to just forget about it. I just don't want it to come back and haunt me. (This happened in Massachusetts)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, you have no need to worry. The statute of limitations on this has long since ended, for both civil causes of action and criminal causes as well.

At worst, if you didn't have sufficient funds in your account to cover the withdrawl there could be a negative report on Cheqsystems regarding having a deficit in your account, but if you never heard from a collection agency, it was probably never reported to them either.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But if they had reported it to the police, wouldn't there be a warrant for my arrest and I read there are no statute of limitations on warrants?

No, the statute of limitations applies to prosecutions, and you were never prosecuted for the offense.

Also, had there been a warrant, you most likely would have been arrested long ago for this.

You can contact your local police department to ensure there's no warrant out for your arrest, but as I mentioned, it is very highly unlikely that one would be out there and wouldn't have been served on you by now.

Finally, these matters are typically handled as civil matters, since you didn't cash a bad check, you just forgot to deposit the one you meant to deposit, and thereby, likely overdrew your account.
Joseph and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you