Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

4 1/2 years ago I was taken to the hospital for attempted suicide.

4 1/2 years ago I was taken to the hospital for attempted suicide. I was in great pain from Shingles and had several prescriptions. While I was in the hospital my mother entered my house and collected all of my prescription pill bottles in my bedroom dresser cabinet. ( Lorazapan was the only one I had taken). Some where old bottles.
Some of the others I had was waiting for Monday to get a refill nod from my doc as their offices where closed on the weekend.
My Mother then went to my personal doctors office (she said she called, but I remember back then she said she went to the office) and told my doctor of 20 years where I was and that I had taken ALL of the pills in every bottle.

Cut to this week, I just got released from hospital after 3 day stay for Pancreatitis. I went to my primary physician, the local town doctor, for a follow up as instructed by the hopsital. When I told him what I was in the hospital for, he took off his glasses and proceeded to lecture me in a degrading manner and said that he would not see me anymore because that meant I was drinking again. He also said he would never prescribe ANY pain pills (I'm still in great pain) or sleeping pills to me citing my mothers conversation with him. He said he would red flag me for life.

Can my mother and my doctor talk about my medical history without my permission? Can he refuse to treat me if I'm not in an AA program? That was his biggest beef...That I was not attending AA meetings.

Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

While the doctor cannot release any of your medical records or information about you without a HIPAA release signed by you, the doctor is allowed to listen to someone like your mother who might have visited him with her concerns and make a note of any information that had been given to the doctor by a third part , such as your mother and to determine whether to rely on the information provided by a third party when it comes to any decision whether to treat or no to provide treatment to a specific patient.

Also, the doctor is does have authority and discretion to choose which patients to treat and what treatment to provide and which medication to prescribe based on the doctor's professional judgment and not based on what the patient wants or asks for.

I am very sorry that you are in this difficult situation and I wish I could provide you with a more favorable answer, but the law is very clear on this issue and I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct information, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Do you have any related follow up questions?