Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Hi, I am a student who is moving out of her current living

I am a student who is moving out of her current living arrangement. My two roommates and I split the cost for three pricey couches. It cost $1000, at around $330 each. I spoke to them about taking one of the couches, as I paid for a third of the couch set or for them to reimburse me. They seem to expect me to move out and leave them the couches for free. They are emotionally attached to the set and do not want to reimburse me. Do I have the right to take a piece of the set with me?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Just to be clear, you have evidence and proof that you personally paid for 1/3 of the set, and the set happens to be 3 equally sized couches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid in cash when we bought the set together 9 months ago and the couches are all close to size. One is shaped like a lounge chair and foot rest. I think all come to around the same value. I am not concerned which piece I receive as long as I am legally able to take a piece with me. I know my roommates will both be upset, both have more powerful, assertive personalities then I do. It will be much help to know my rights to the furniture we mutually bought when moving out. I am not in the position to forfeit $300 furniture and purchase new.

Thank you for your follow-up, Brittany.

To answer your question directly, since you did formally invest into the value of the items, and the items are all more or less equivalent in value and in size, you can indeed take one of the pieces with you if they refuse to reimburse you for your expenses. Lawfully you have a 1/3 interest in the whole set, so if it can be easily broken do into equivalent 1/3 parts, one of those parts can be yours. It is irrelevant if they are going to be unhappy at your decision, if they refuse or are unable to reimburse you, the item is yours to take. They would not be able to stop you unless one person purchased it solely on their card, and there is no evidence (such as texts or emails) that you reimbursed him for your portion of the furniture.

Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help! Have a great evening!

Brittany,

Glad to help and good luck to you! If you found my information to be useful, please do not forget to positively rate my responses to you so I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX an even better evening yourself!