How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question

Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 903
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive hired a moving company to move my two industrial sewing

Resolved Question:

I've hired a moving company to move my two industrial sewing machines from California to Texas. The driver delivered the machines on June and they are broken badly, can't be fixed. At first, they don't want to pay for the damaged but last week they said it would be $48.00 for me because the contract said $.60 per lbs. I've looked the contract, they estimated the machines 200 cf (1400 lbs). I told them that I can't take that offer and ask for the arbitration hearing but they're ignoring me. Can I sue them at the small claim court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Thelawman2 :

It depends on the amount of damage you are claiming. As long as the amount of damage is below $10,000 then you are able to file a claim in small claims court. However, if there is an arbitration clause in your contract, then they could seek arbitration after you file your claim. They would have to answer to the complaint though in court and seek to compel arbitration. Therefore, either way, you will have a hearing in court, or at least an arbitration proceeding.

Customer: So, should I go ahead to file a complaint at the court?
Thelawman2 :

Yes, that will at least force the movers to answer to your complaint. If they do not, then they will default and you will win.

Customer: Should I bring my husband and my son to be my witnesses? The driver brought the machines at 10:30 pm. He asked me to pay 35% of the cost of moving in cash or money order first. He asked m to signed the paper and he brought machines in. He reported the damaged by phone only, not in writing
Thelawman2 :

Yes, you should bring whatever evidence you can to show that the movers caused the damage and the amount of damage

Customer: I don't buy the liability insurance because they have one covers with $.60 per lbs. But my machines cost $2000.00
Thelawman2 :

Just because you didn't buy liability insurance that was offered does not mean that you cannot sue for the damages

Customer: Can I ask them give me back the payment $885 for the moving cost ?
Thelawman2 :

If you ask for that, and they give it to you, that could be seen as a settlement for the damages they caused.

Customer: I've called them so many times to ask them proceed my claim because I use these machine for a living. It has been three months already that I'm out f job, can I do a counterclaim for my lost income also?
Customer: Sorry, out 'of' job
Thelawman2 :

Probably not. The loss of your job is too unrelated to the contract you had with them.

Customer: Should I hire a paralegal to help my paper works? Do you know how much would it cost?
Thelawman2 :

Hiring someone experienced in the procedure of filing a claim would be helpful; however, it could easily result in costs that exceed the amount you are trying to recover.

Thelawman2 :

If you contact the clerk of the courts, they might be able to help you with the process. Small claims court is supposed to be simple enough to permit people to go it on their own

Customer: Do I still have enough time to file a complaint because it has been three months already?
Thelawman2 :

Yes, you have four years to bring a complaint

Customer: I can go to the court in Texas, not in California, right ? The driver did not say what happened, how did it happen or where?
Thelawman2 :

Yes you can sue in Texas

Customer: Thank you so much for your help today. I am very happy with your service. Have a good evening!
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 903
Experience: Attorney-at-Law
Thelawman2 and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.