Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My ex boyfriend is now suing me for paying my medical bills

My ex boyfriend is now suing me for paying my medical bills he insisted on paying when we were together. It was only after he found out 2 weeks after I asked him to leave that I logged onto the same dating site we met on that he decided to sue. we lived together over a year but he was an alcoholic and I couldn't take the verbal abuse anymore.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, did you ever formally agree to pay him back this debt? How much is he suing you for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not agree to pay him back, he insisted that we were a couple and he wanted to pay them. 4386.00

Thank you for your follow-up, Dawn.

That is positive news for you. Is there anything in writing anywhere pertaining to you ever admitting that this si 'your' debt or that you would be paying it yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing in writing, he took the bills from me and wrote the checks. He did this twice during our year and a half together, he didn't want me to be stressed about the bills so he just took them and paid them

Thank you for your follow-up, Dawn.

In that case he has a very low chance of prevailing against you. The reason is because as a plaintiff he has the burden of production to the courts that this was a 'debt' and not a 'gift'. While he can pursue you if this was a debt, or if you even in writing agreed to cover his costs, or that you 'assumed' the debt for yourself and agreed to cover the obligation, without such language his payment of the debt was his own choice. It also then makes it his own risk and his own gift. Should he pursue you, pint out to the judge that no language exists stating that you agreed to cover this, that this was a debt, and you considered it to be a gift. That would be enough to get this obligation thrown out.

Good luck!