Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

hi When filing for a divorce, do the items that you stipulate,

hi
When filing for a divorce, do the items that you stipulate, have any consequence with the IRS?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, could you clarify your question a bit? Do you mean if one party receives an asset would it create a potential tax event?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband and i a while back purchased properties out of the country, but never paid taxes on it, so if we file and list the properties will that information go to the IRS?

Thank you for your follow-up, Carmen.

If you file and list the properties, the courts DO NOT report this to the IRS. Family courts do not have an obligation to report, reporting taxes is your own obligation, or the IRS's review of your assets. However transferring those assets into one name or another would create a tax event and would need to be reported to the IRS, as well as create tax implications.

Good luck.