Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband received his fourth DUI (Montana). His lawyer told

My husband received his fourth DUI (Montana). His lawyer told him he is facing up to 13 months in prison unless he signs a plea agreement. The plea agreement requires that he attend a state run treatment program. His lawyer told him that if he signs the agreement, he can still go to court & argue for a lesser sentence. Is this true or once you sign the plea agreement are you bound to it?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your husband's situation.

Is this true or once you sign the plea agreement are you bound to it?

This depends on what is in the plea agreement.

If the plea agreement does not contain a certain amount of months of treatment, etc, then it would be up to the Judge.

If the plea agreement contains an exact treatment plan and/or punishment plan as part of the agreement, then the Judge normally signs off on it as is. Very rarely does the Judge deviate from an agreement signed by both the prosecutor and the defendant. This is only if the Judge feels that justice "is not being done."

Let me put it this way - I have only seen it happen ONCE personally.

So perhaps the attorney knows the Judge better. I cannot say. But in all honesty, once someone signs that plea agreement, at the entering of that plea agreement, the likelihood of the Judge lessening the terms is... unlikely.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.