dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

My question concerns SSDI and SSI I am 60 years old and have

My question concerns SSDI and SSI
I am 60 years old and have been on SSDI for 15 years. I have been offered a commission job (with good prospects) that I feel I could do - however, I want to avoid negative impact on my SSI when I turn 66. I currently receive about $2000 per month on SSDI.
I have spoken to SSDI twice on the phone and received very different answers on how the calculation and 66 would be done if I was able to return to work. I also currently receive a Long term disability policy but that ends at 65 and I could possibly get a buy out from them if I do go back to work

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 35 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If you start this job, AND your income exceeds $1060 per month, you will be no longer eligible for SSDI as the SSA will conclude that you are gainfully employed and not disabled.

As for calculating your retirement benefits, SS benefits are calculated by looking at a total of 35 years of work history. And the ten highest years of income are used to calculate. therefore if your earnings over the next five years from this job are higher than what you have earned before, it will help to increase your benefit. But if they are lower, it will have no effect.

I wish you well. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I can get paid for helping you.