LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

was stop by police driving at 2.30 am when they pulled the

Customer Question

was stop by police driving at 2.30 am when they pulled the license is came back suspended.

This was a clerical error My ticket was paid on time and the office never sent to the DMV THAT IS WAS. I did get a letter showing they reinstated it with out any moneys being paid .
I was taken to jail on that night spent it in jail had to be bailed out lost a day of work the person I shared my home with did not believe me so I had to move out my life has been k oss . were do I go? I have very little money . who can help me this was so unfair I have a court date Oct to be in front of the judge
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Is the court date for the suspended license charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes also my friend car I was driving had an empty beer bottle in it I do not drink (ever) . the police did not think it was mine he did not make me do any sobriety test.I did not see it when I got in the car it was dark

the officer after get in info My lic was suspended then tore the car a part .So I was given ticket as well for an open container

Thank you for the additional information. When you appear in court in October, you want to bring with you the letter you received showing that your license was reinstated by the them and any other evidence to show and support that the ticket was paid and the suspension was an error by the clerk. Once this is presented to the State, they should dismiss the case. If that happens, then the only other thing you need to handle is the ticket for the open container. Even though the car was not yours and it was borrowed from a friend, there is still a presumption that you are responsible for the contents. If the officer did not think it was yours, he would have never wrote the ticket and just disposed of it. Another interesting thing to look into is the basis for which the officer stopped the vehicle. If this was your friends car, then even if he ran the plates, it should have not revealed that your licenses was suspended, until after he ran your license. If the officer did not have a legal basis to stop the car, a possible motion to suppress could be filed as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the reason he said he stop me was I did not turn on the car lights till I was out of the yard ,As I said it was 2.30 AM I did not want to wake the children shining the lights into the house there rooms are in the front that is way he stop me . and he found the lic was suspended

when he ran it not the plates

If your lights were not on while operating the vehicle at night, then the officer had a basis to stop you. While I understand your reason for not wanting to put them on immediately, it is not a defense to raise.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to go with a Lawyer to court

That is at your discretion. You can handle it alone if you wanted to or retain legal counsel, to act on your behalf. I always think it is best to retain an attorney but you can also appear alone and see what the prosecutor is willing to do and if you are unsure at that time, ask for time to retain an attorney and come back.