Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

42 years my ago mother and step father decided to register

42 years my ago mother and step father decided to register me in school using his last name, I don't think there was a legal adoption or a legal name change. I have only recently found out about this and they are now divorced and trying to talk to them about it just causes a lot of grief. I've gone through nearly my entire life using my step fathers last name and every record and document I have reflects this except my actual birth certificate that I recently got from my mother. Anytime a birth certificate was needed my mother an old yellowed official looking document from Kentucky called Notification of Birth Registration, which show my stepfather as my father and it was always accepted and not questioned until recently (I suspect it has probably been altered). I would not even care about any of this except I have recently returned Florida, where I grew up, from Texas and I need a Florida Driver’s License. An attorney said I would have to wait at least six months to establish jurisdiction, doesn't make sense since this isn't really a family law issue related to a divorce or child custody and it would make it impossible to comply with the law. All I want is a driver’s license.

Chris T., JD :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Chris T., JD :

So, the people in Florida refused you a license because your birth certificate didn't match the name you were requesting a license under?

Customer:

yes

Chris T., JD :

Legally, there is no way to force them to issue a license under a name that doesn't match the birth certificate. The only way that I can see for you to fix this problem is to go through the formal name change process, which can take a few months. In the meantime, you should get a license issued under your birth certificate name, and once the name change is complete, go get a new license under that name.

Chris T., JD :

The forms and instructions on how to file for a name change can be found here.

Customer:

Which name should I use to start the name change

Chris T., JD :

Since legally your name is XXXXX XXXXX your birth certificate, you should start with that one. You would be asking to go from that name to the name you've been using all these years.

Customer:

okay, thank you

Chris T., JD :

Glad to help! Do you have any questions?

Customer:

I don't think so

Chris T., JD :

OK. If I can't help you with anything else, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck!

Thanks for the positive rating! If you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me here. Also, you may receive a survey in the near future asking questions about my service. If you have a few moments, please complete it. Hopefully, you've been fully satisfied with my assistance. If not, please let me know.