Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Our deceased mother had a lockbox. Only her name is XXXXX XXXXX

Our deceased mother had a lockbox. Only her name is XXXXX XXXXX box. We have both keys to access the box. All other properties are in all our names so there is no problem with the properties the family owns. The only problems is the 3 x 5 inch lockbox. We don't know what procedure we need to follow to get access to the box. She did not leave a will because she put the name of both daughters on all other property and she evidently didn't think it was necessary. What do we have to do to get access to the box?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hello and good evening.I am Ray your expert that will be assisting you tonight.I appreciate the chance to chat.

Customer:

Here you are going to have to make application here for a probate court order to access the safety deposit box.

Customer:

Here is Indiana law on the matter.

Customer:

C 29-1-13-1.5

Access to safe deposit box; duties of financial institutions
Sec. 1.5. (a) Upon the death of an individual, a financial institution shall grant access in the following order of priority to a safe deposit box leased by the individual at the time of the individual's death:
(1) A surviving joint lessee of the safe deposit box, upon the presentation of proof of the individual's status as a joint lessee.
(2) The personal representative of the individual's estate, upon the presentation of letters testamentary or letters of administration.
(3) The personal representative named in the individual's will, upon the presentation of an affidavit meeting the requirements of subsection (c) if a probate estate has not been opened.
(4) The trustee of a trust created by the individual that was revocable during the individual's life, upon the presentation of an affidavit meeting the requirements of subsection (c) if a probate estate has not been opened.
(5) Any other individual, upon the presentation of a court order directing access to the safe deposit box.
(b) A person granted access to a safe deposit box under subsection (a) may exercise the following rights:
(1) The right to open the safe deposit box.
(2) The right to remove the contents of the safe deposit box.
(3) The right to cancel the lease for the safe deposit box.
(c) An affidavit required by subsection (a)(3) or (a)(4) must contain the following information:
(1) The name of the individual leasing the safe deposit box and the date of the individual's death.
(2) A statement as to whether the individual died testate or intestate.
(3) The name of the county in which the individual was domiciled at the time of the individual's death.
(4) A statement that no application or petition for the appointment of a personal representative has been granted or is pending in any jurisdiction.
(5) A statement under the penalty of perjury that the affiant is qualified under subsection (a)(3) or (a)(4) to obtain access to the safe deposit box leased by the individual.
(d) Except as provided in subsection (h), a financial institution that is presented with a request for access to a safe deposit box by a person described in subsection (a):
(1) shall grant access to the safe deposit box within three (3) business days of the presentation of the appropriate documentation required by subsection (a); and
(2) is liable to:
(A) the estate of the individual leasing the safe deposit box; or
(B) an individual entitled to access to the safe deposit box under subsection (a);
if it fails to grant access to the safe deposit box within three (3)

business days of the presentation of the appropriate documentation required by subsection (a).
(e) A financial institution that provides access to a safe deposit box under this section is discharged and released from liability and responsibility for the assets held in the safe deposit box. The financial institution is not required to:
(1) inquire into the truth of any statement in an affidavit presented under this section; or
(2) participate in the disposition of the assets held in the safe deposit box.
(f) A plaintiff who prevails in an action:
(1) to compel a financial institution presented with a request for access to a safe deposit box in accordance with this section to accept the authority of the person requesting access; or
(2) for damages arising from a financial institution's refusal to grant the requested access;
is entitled to recover the amounts specified in subsection (g).
(g) A prevailing plaintiff described in subsection (f) is entitled to the following:
(1) Three (3) times the amount of the actual damages.
(2) Attorney's fees and court costs.
(3) Prejudgment interest on the actual damages calculated from the date that the appropriate documentation was presented to the financial institution under subsection (a).
(h) If a financial institution requires the services of a locksmith or other contractor to gain access to a safe deposit box, the financial institution has five (5) additional business days to comply with the requirements of subsection (d).
As added by P.L.101-2008, SEC.6.

Customer:

You are going to need a local lawyer to draft this and file it where she deceased.

Customer:

The bank will not grant access without such an order allowing you entrance.

Customer:

Here is ABA approved lawyer referral.

Customer:

In the event there are any assets here within the box you would have to open probate and they pass under the Indiana laws of intestacy through probate.

Customer:

But you would start with the court order and then access it and go from there.

Customer:

The order would direct the bank to grant you access to the safety box.

Customer:

I appreciate the chance to assist you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Lucy, thanks for your recent question and positive rating.If you receive a customer survey I would appreciate another positive rating.If you have more questions in the future please post for Ray.Thanks again.

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.