How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I appeared in small claims court as a plaintiff on June 20,

This answer was rated:

I appeared in small claims court as a plaintiff on June 20, 2013, in regards XXXXX XXXXX on the purchase of a house, and have yet to receive a judgement. I have called several times and just get the same answer, that the judge just hasn't ruled yet. Isn't there a time limit? I live in Ohio. XXXXX XXXXX

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 35 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.


Thanks for your question. Note, there no written time limit. However, judges are requested to rule as quickly as possible. However, other matters often get in their way. Specifically, a small claims judge hears other matters as well and may be now involved in a multi month trial that started after he heard your case. Also, sometimes, small claims cases are heard by attorneys who volunteer to hear cases. And they have their own practice and can get sidetracked. Likewise, none of these are good excuses but the reality of the judicial process. Finally, I recommend not calling the court for at least six months from the date of the hearing. This is because, every time you call, and the case is pulled, sometimes it now gets put back into the bottom of the pile. As a result, you actually hurt your case by further delaying it being processed. Thanks for understanding.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I can get paid for helping you. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long is long enough, one year, five years? How to approach after six months? I get the impression the judge was also friends with this family.

As I mentioned, I would wait six months-, not longer. After that, if you still have not heard, you can file a complaint with the State of Ohio Judicial Bar who will review your complaint and investigate on your behalf. Likewise, the State Judicial Bar can impose disciplinary sanctions against the Judge. Needless to say, the threat of such sanctions will surely get the judge's attention.


I wish you well. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.

dylatess and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you