Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I was leaving school friday, september 13th and i was following

I was leaving school friday, september 13th and i was following all the cars going down the road there is a break int he road which has a little road that curves towards the school and comes back out for the busses. Apperently there was a bus on the opposite side of the road and as my car was past his stop sign on the bus he had put his red lights on... he didnt honk his horn or nothing... on monday i was called into the police station and givin a summons for passing the bus with the lights on... I personally dont think i was at fault i was already half way passed the bus and did not see the lights at all. i am currently holding a workers restricted license in maine i want to plead not guilty but im not sure how i can fight it, i have never dealt with court or law or anything before
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In order for you to fight this, you would need some evidence to show that you were already halfway passed the bus as you stated before the lights were activated. This means you have to subpoena the bus records to determine if they had an onboard computer or camera to show the incident, because most buses now have equipment that tells the time the emergency warnings are activated and also have video cameras on them. I have seen them even on private company school buses in Maine.

At this point, if you are convicted of this you risk having your restricted license revoked, so you really should consider using a local attorney because this is a little more involved for you than a regular traffic case and you have no experience as you said in court and this requires getting a subpoena or request for production of records to see if you can get evidence from the bus computer and camera to defend your case.

If no such evidence exists, it is your word against the school bus driver's word and if the driver does not show up in court to testify, you could get the ticket dismissed. Thus, you should plead not guilty and get the matter set for a hearing and in the meantime get the records from the bus if any exist to help defend your case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.