Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was employed at a catholic school last year. The eight graders

I was employed at a catholic school last year. The eight graders and I were discussing the new Pope and all of the challenges he would be facing, vatican scandal, gays, etc...one of the students turned to his friend and said "F..ing F...ots". I told him I was offended because my brother was gay and that as a christian he should love everyone. A parent went to our superintendent to complain and I was put on administrative leave. The letter I received from the principal stated that due to personal stories.." When I spoke w the super he said it was because I was talking about female priests which is against church practice. I know it was because of my gay brother, because when I was called in to the principal's office to discuss it, she said immediately "its the gay thing..." Is this discrimination? Do I have any legal resourse or is it impossible to fight the Church? I live in Colorado
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Unfortunately, you don't have a case but it's not because the Church is involved.

Dwayne B. :

CO is what is known as an "employment at will" state which means that an employer can terminate an employee at any time and for any reason other than race, age, gender, etc.

Dwayne B. :

In your case, and I am assuming you are correct as to the reason, you are being terminated not because you are a member of any specific protected class but because your brother is gay.

Dwayne B. :

Leaving out whether your brother might have a protected right because of his sexual orientation, the law has definitely not been extended to the siblings of people who are gay and therefore there isn't a cause of action.

Dwayne B. :

If you had a written contract then the answer may be different but if not, then there isn't a viable cause of action.

Dwayne B. :

I am truly sorry to give you what I am sure is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and very unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an completely honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. Please remember to rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not upon whether the answer was good news or bad news since I have no control over whether the law is in your favor or not.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.