Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I have a friend wanting a divorce but he got married in Mexico,

I have a friend wanting a divorce but he got married in Mexico, and he wants to know what he needs to do. He is here in the USA, and would like to stay here to get the divorce done here. What shoud he do or contact?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Chris T., JD :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Chris T., JD :

Getting a divorce in the US when the marriage took place abroad is not really an issue at all. In fact, the process is no different than it would be if he were married here in the US.

Chris T., JD :

All they need to do is file for divorce like any other couple and attach a copy of the Mexican marriage certificate. The rest of the process will be the same as any other divorce.

Chris T., JD :

Hello.

Chris T., JD :

Do you have any questions?

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX think he has to find a way of getting the marriage certificate and then he can begin thre process. If I have any furyfurth
Chris T., JD :

Not being familiar with Mexican procedure, I can't tell you exactly how to obtain it from Mexico, but I'm sure there is some sort of clerk in the place he was married that he can call.

Chris T., JD :

If all else fails, he could hire an attorney in Mexico to get it for him and then file it here.

Chris T., JD :

Do you have any questions?

Customer: My phone is not letting me text what I want, so I apologize if you cant understand.
Chris T., JD :

I can understand what you are typing.

Customer: Would he need a certain lawyer, since he is hispanic?
Chris T., JD :

No, he doesn't need a particular type of lawyer. If he only speaks Spanish, he may consider a Spanish speaking lawyer, but outside of that, he shouldn't have any issues.

Chris T., JD :

I hope that answers your question. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work). Good luck to you and your friend.

Chris T., JD :

Hello. Do you have any questions?

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.