Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

my vehicle was vandalized and broken into I called police notified

my vehicle was vandalized and broken into I called police notified my insurance company which is state farm and they begin investigating me and eventually denied to pay claim stated I had not been cooperative and gave mis leading information because the receipt given to them had different address due that work was done by contractor who we can,t find what can I do if anything about this! help
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

The first thing you can consider is filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner at https://www.ldi.state.la.us/ConsumerComplaintForm/Complaints/Welcome.aspx

Dwayne B. :

However, this rarely does any good.

Dwayne B. :

Realistically what you need to do is find a lawyer who does bad faith insurance cases and have them write a demand letter and then, if necessary, file suit.

Dwayne B. :

Some attorneys may take the case on a % basis and some will want to be paid up front or by the hour. Either way you can recover your attorney's fees if you have to file a lawsuit.

Dwayne B. :

You can continue trying to deal with them yourself but my experience has been that it is better to hire a lawyer at this point because the insurance company isn't worried about you until that point because they know there really isn't anything you can do to them without a lawyer and you may just drop it or you may even miss the statute of limitations and not be able to file a lawsuit.

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please do not issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.

Customer:

so based on your experience what is the probability that I may win can include punitive damages for this situation

Dwayne B. :

Based solely on your facts you have an excellent chance of winning. Juries hate insurance companies and particularly in LA.

Dwayne B. :

As far as punitive damages there is no way to tell at this point. You can certainly sue for them but they are always a dice roll, sometimes you win those sometimes you don't. You should win your actual damages and your attorney's fees though.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.