Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

Hi my dad is in federal prison his lawyer is no longer representing

Hi my dad is in federal prison his lawyer is no longer representing him. The attorney dropped him after we filed for his appeal. If the federal court of appeals agrees to hear his case. Will they help him get an attorney or what will happen? My dad has paid this attorney a fortune and after he was recently sentenced and sent away. The attorney hasn't once talked to him. But yet he harasses us and I don't know what to do. I live in Pike County Kentucky which is the eastern district of KY
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Thelawman2 :

You should contact the federal public defender's office in Kentucky to make sure your father is assigned an attorney for the appeal.

Thelawman2 :

You can call the following number to get in touch with the Kentucky Federal Public Defender:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

JACUSTOMER-oc8gx1y0- :

Ok will that be in Frankfort or Lexington? Because the lawyer he had extorted him and us really bad. My dad worked in a coal mines for 33 years he has little education. I don't know the status of the appeal I do know that I paid out of pocket myself to file the appeal and I just recently paid another 500.00 for a 500 page report to be filed on his behalf.

JACUSTOMER-oc8gx1y0- :

Thank you so much, I sure hope they can help I am at the end of my rope.

Thelawman2 :

You can call that number, and they will put you in touch with the closest office.

JACUSTOMER-oc8gx1y0- :

Thank you so much.

Thelawman2 :

You are welcome, please remember to provide positive feedback

JACUSTOMER-oc8gx1y0- :

I hope that you are the one that I can talk to, to help get me through this I don't know what on earth is going on. My next question is this? Because that his lawyer dropped him does that mean that the appeals court will not listen to his case?

Thelawman2 :

No, the appeals court can still hear the case. Just because the lawyer is not there does not mean you cannot bring an appeal

JACUSTOMER-oc8gx1y0- :

thank you and I will talk to you more later about it I am sure I will have more questions one more and I will let you go, if he don't have one will they appoint him one

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they have to appoint one because a defendant has the right to counsel at trial and through the first appeal.
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience: Attorney-at-Law