Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Does my husband have the right to give my vehicle away when

Does my husband have the right to give my vehicle away when it is titled in my name? I am an alcoholic, however have never had a moving violation in 36 years of driving. He is giving my vehicle to my daughter and says I will never drive again. Can he legally do this? Currently he has taken the keys and disabled the vehicle. Can he do this?

Thank you

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Wisconsin is a community property state, which means that any property acquired during the marriage is marital property and both of you have an ownership interest in the vehicle even if your name is XXXXX XXXXX one on the title.
Kirk Adams : HOWEVER, he cannot take your property away from you without your consent or a court order.