Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have been receiving SSI for one year. They have told me it

I have been receiving SSI for one year. They have told me it has been discontinued because I have run out of money. I have paid into SSI for 60 years and now have lung cancer. I don't understand why it was discontinued.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : SSI is a needs-based program, and it is not necessary to have paid Social Security taxes, or to have even worked, to be eligible for SSI. Thus, whether or not you've paid into the program is irrelevant in regard to receiving benefits. .
Kirk Adams : Generally, there is some other reason that benefits are stopped. Usually, it is because the person has too much income OR because there has been a medical (physical or mental) improvement that makes SSI unnecessary.
Kirk Adams : There should be some explaination from the Social Security Administration as to why this decision was made. Also, you can appeal the decision and ask for an administrative review of the decision.
Kirk Adams : Here's a link to the form and instructions: