Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My live in girlfriend in Maricopa,AZ used a neighbors car against

My live in girlfriend in Maricopa,AZ used a neighbors car against my wishes (I told her to have my mom take her and the kids to the doctors office). She waited until I was at work and borrowed the car anyways. She got into an accident and was at fault. She was cited for running a red light and no proof of insurance.(she does not have any car or car insurance). She has only $100 in the bank and watched the neighbor that lent her the car's 18 month old son for money. They want me to pay for everything! They say they are coming after everything of mine. I have not received documents yet since this matter is fresh but I have found out she has filed a police report for fraudulent use of property and destruction of property. Can they really get anything from me since we share NO bank accounts, NO bills or shared debts, NO anything but kids together and she stays at my house since she has no job. This woman is somehow fixated on the fact I have to pay for her raise in insurance, rental car, new car...She has also been extremely vulgar throughout this entire process.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can they really get anything from me since we share NO bank accounts, NO bills or shared debts, NO anything but kids together and she stays at my house since she has no job.
.
No, if this person is your girlfriend then the owner of the car has absolutely no legal grounds to hold you liable in any way. The only person she can hold liable is girlfriend for wrecking the car.
.
So the neighbor's only recourse is to sue girlfriend for her damages. But if girlfriend has no job and no assets, although the neighbor can get a judgment, there is no way they will be able to collect on it.
.
With that said, under no circumstances should you agree in any way shape or form to pay for the neighbor's damages.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So even though she lives in my house with me and my children but they have my last name and are supported by me alone we are not legally tied together?

Yes, that is absolutely correct. Since you are only boy/girlfriend, you are not legally tied together and you can't be held liable for her actions.
.
.
Thanks