How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser , Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37632
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i extract myself from an association? I volunteered

This answer was rated:

how can i extract myself from an association? I volunteered to be interim Exec Director to get started, incorporated, bank acct, etc. and now I am passing the baton and want to ensure I'm legally no longer affiliated or responsible. Other than transferring the bank account, what do I need to do? It's incorporated in Delaware. Thanks.


Before I discuss your question, I'm wondering if you could share with me why you may believe that you have any special obligations concerning your activities as interim director?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The association is a membership professional association with mostly academics and students who have an interest in the particular topic. I have been responsible for all activities, including banking, forming corporation, etc. and am leaving in part because of ethical concerns about the interim board, including violating their own conflict of interest policy, delaying election of leadership as established by bylaws, and generally not getting the idea of running a corporation includes some sense of adherence to rules and fairness. I suppose it's not so much that I believe I have special obligations, only that I am paranoid they will continue to do stupid things. I want to make sure I am legally completely in the clear. Even if it's a letter I can have the board send me saying clearly that I'm relieved of all obligations to and liability from xxx, etc. Thanks.

Can you tell me the legal form of the association?

nonprofit corporation, unincorporated nonprofit association, or something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

non-stock, nonprofit corporation, although nonprofit status is still under review by the IRS.


Under DC corporations law, you cannot be held liable for any actions taken by you as long as they were done in good faith and based upon well-informed business judgment.

A simple resignation letter is ordinarily sufficient to end your term as director. However, in this case, if you have various account authorities, then I would turn them over to someone else in charge, and get a signature from that person acknowledging the turnover, so that you have evidence of your no longer being able to access the account. Ideally, you would want the entire remaining board to acknowledge your resignation and that you no longer have any further liability for the association business. But, you may not be able to get that, if they are looking to make you the "scapegoat" for their own liability (whatever that may be).

At a minimum, you need to be able to evidence the date of your resignation via the letter to the board, so I would send it to each member individually, certified mail, return receipt requested.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. You reference DC corporations law but the organization is incorporated in Delaware. Am I held to DC or DE law, or are they different with this regard?



Delaware law is substantially the same, except that under Delaware law, the board has the express power to indemnify a director. So, you can request indemnification by the board for your actions as interim director. I have no idea what they will say, but you can certainly ask.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37632
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you!


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions