TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

under what circumstances would the federal government sue a

under what circumstances would the federal government sue a citizen of the US over private debts. under the fair trade laws?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Well, let's start out with the principle at work here. The US Government is not empowered to enforce private debts through a lawsuit. In other words, the US Government is never going to step into someone else's shoes that is owed a debt and sue for that person. The US Government will only sue when a law has been broken, or when it is owed money itself.

That being said, can you explain the basis for your question, and perhaps we can shed more light on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes...someone called me today stating that I had some outstanding debts from companies who were now submitting a "class action suit" against me.... I asked who these companies were - he would not disclose the company names... he said that I needed to pay them or I would be arrested.... I just finished a bankruptcy in 2011 - I told him I needed the names to give to my attorney to research.. He got sarcastic stating "...oh so your attorney will come down here to Florida?..." and hung up stating I would arrested.... This is pretty upsetting... but he was very unprofessional .. he stated he was an attorney in Florida...

Thanks for your response.

This is absolutely a scam call. You cannot be arrested for a debt you owe privately. Further, there is no such thing as a company filing a class action suit against a private individual. This was a person who was trying to scare you into paying them money by using fake legal jargon against you.

This is actually likely a criminal act and could also be a violation of civil statutes.

Has the person ever talked to you before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no...he sounded foreign and was so sarcastic as I tried to make sense of this surprising call... I asked for the name of the company(s) that he represented and he just kept saying all the trade laws that had been broken..saying it really fast... when I asked him to slow down so I could write information down- that's when he said "'re just gonna get arrested...have a nice day." wow... I can't tell you how that made me feel.... but just could not believe what I was hearing

I imagine so! That's just ridiculous that someone would try that and its also very troubling that this person has your contact information.

If he calls again, state to him that you know he is trying to scam you, that he is violating the law, and that you are going to report his call to the police.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much... I was devastated...but I am now convinced that this was the case....evil people are always at work... but I will tell him if calls back that the police will be called. thank you so much... The money I spent to talked to you was well worth the peace of mind...

You are very welcome.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,