How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26348
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get my deposit of 8,000.00 back from a car dealer

This answer was rated:

How do i get my deposit of 8,000.00 back from a car dealer in Michigan that mislead me on a 1972 Chevy Chevelle that i never took ownership of
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Would you mind sharing with me how you were mislead? Do you have anything in writing from the dealer? Why was a deposit required?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Flew out to Michigan and the salesmen said the car was a show car and the body of the car did not line up and they said there was no rust and there was rust on the car

And I assume the dealer required the deposit to hold the car for you, to assure it was not sold prior to you going to see it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car was 18,000.00 and at first i gave him 2,000.00 on a credit card and i than mailed him 8,000.00 at a later date in good faith because it took me 2 weeks to get out to michigan

Carmen, thank you for the additional information. If the dealer made false and misleading statements about the car which you relied on and it was not what would be deemed "show quality" in the industry, you would have a legal right to sue him to get your money back. It would not only be the $8,000 but the $2,000 as well, since the car was not what represented. You will have to bring your claim in the general civil division of the district court, which is for claims up to $25,000. You really should not have given this dealer ANY money without first seeing the car and getting something in writing, to evidence exactly what the car was like. You do not have to accept his offer for a partial refund and should be able to recover the full amount, since he misrepresented the car and you relied on his misrepresentation when giving him the money. You will have to sue him and he will need to defend the lawsuit and essentially explain the legal basis he has for keeping the money and will need to explain why he failed to disclose issue with rust and the body of the car not lining up.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you