How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a subcontractor on a commericial job and was not paid

This answer was rated:

I was a subcontractor on a commericial job and was not paid in full. Come to find out the contractor never pull any permits. Now his claiming that since every unit we did was under 5000 dollars he didnt need permit. We do over 18 units in this one building its a nurse home. I also found out he wasnt liciensed for commericial or residental. what are my options
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Are you asking about your options to recover the money that is owed to you?

Can you tell me how much that is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im owed over 5000

Hello James,

You would need to file a complaint with the district court, since your claim is above $5,000. The complaint needs to state your cause of action (breach of contract) and to provide the facts in your situation, as well as a claim for relief (that the court order that the defendant pay you the money owed). You would then need to serve a copy of the complaint on the defendant and the court.

Here is a sample complaint:

The coversheet you need to file with the complaint is here:

You may also want to contact legal aid of North Carolina for assistance, as well, which you can do here:

Or consult their guide to civil complaint process which is here:

As far as the permit and licensing situation goes, the website for the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors states the following:

'For questions concerning complaints or to request a complaint form, please call the Board’s Violations & Complaints Section at(NNN) NNN-NNNN'

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Definitely contact me if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work. It is necessary for you to rate my answer even though you’ve made a deposit or are a subscriber. I only receive compensation for my work if you rate me positively. Otherwise, I receive nothing for assisting you, and the website retains your entire deposit.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you