dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

my bookeeper has promised to complete taxes for 2012 (extension

my bookeeper has promised to complete taxes for 2012 (extension was filed) 2 months ago. I am now at this hour late to present documentation to my accountant. Numerous promises to complete said taxes have been supplied to me over the past 12 + months. This person has been paid in full. Because of the time sensitivity, and the likely damages to ensue, what remedy is available to me?

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 35 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Your remedy as of now is a breach of contract action and demand a return of the money you have paid as you have not received any consideration. Likewise, though those damages have not yet been assessed, if you will also incur interest and penalties as a result of your late filing, that would also be included in the damages that you would be suing for.

Note, I do recommend retaining an attorney at this time to write a demand letter on your behalf outlining to the bookkeeper your remedies and his or her potential financial exposure.

I wish you well. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no written contract. I only have a history of bookkeeping services provided since 2006. This person is also in possession of all my statements, receipts, etc. since '06. ??

Does not matter whether you have a contract or not as you have a history with this bookkeeper going back many years.