dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

I hired an attorney to draft a prenuptual agreement for me.

I hired an attorney to draft a prenuptual agreement for me. He was referred by my estate planning attorney. We had a meeting in person to discuss specifics (I don't have a complicated financial situation). He told me what his hourly rate was (which was the same as my estate planning attorney). He started to work on the prenup and then 4 days later called me to tell me that he was going to need to request "...a $10,000 retainer as the charges will definitely exceed that amount...". I told him I thought that was a ridiculous amount as there was nothing out of the ordinary about what we were talking about. I was getting on a plane for a business trip so I reached out to him the next day and told him I was going to look at other alternatives. I did instruct him to send me a bill for any time he had already spent. He sent me an invoice for $3,847.50 and indicated he has spent a total of 7.1 hours working on it already (including 3.8 hours after the initial discussion when I told him it was ridiculous). I am not going to dispute the charges but in the e-mail that he sent when he sent the bill he indicated that he appreciated I recognized he did spend some time on the prenup and that he had done alot on a draft which he actually would have sent to me the same day he sent me the invoice. My question is - given I've essentially paid for this draft is it within my rights to ask for a copy of the draft prenup? I seriously question whether he spent the time that he claims so I have other motives for asking but I feel like I need to pursue this. Thanks.

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 35 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

YES you are entitled to the draft as well as any other work that was performed by this attorney. Note, you are paying for services rendered. Likewise, you have a right to review what services were actually rendered. So I would have no hesitation making the request.

I wish you well. Please be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for assisting you.