socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I was told by a handicapped person that there is a law that

I was told by a handicapped person that there is a law that covers a disabled person getting financial assistance to install a bathroom on my lower level of my home (where no bathroom exits) since I had hip surgery. Are you aware of any such law?

The only "law" of which I'm aware, which would apply in NY State is:

Two loan guarantee programs from the Federal Housing Administration, Title 1 and 203K loans, have loan size limits. The FHA programs can provide direct loans with below market interest rates (to 1%), higher than normal debt ratio (to 1%), extended terms (to 33 years), low down payments or financed closing costs. These loans can be used for acquisition or rehabilitation. The 203K program will also loan up to 80% of the repaired value of the home, making it useful for a household that chooses to move and make accessibility improvements in the new home.

HUD/FHA contact info can be found at this link.

Please let me know if I can clarify my answer or if you need further assistance.

Hope this helps.