Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I am buying a new house and want to set up a special warrantee

I am buying a new house and want to set up a special warrantee deed so that my partner gets the house on my death. However, I want to have all rights to the house (i.e. selling, leasing), and have the right to change the deed without her permission while I am alive. Is this possible?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Unfotunately, you wouldn't be able to do this with a deed because once you grant someone a property interest via a deed, then you can't change it or revoke it without explicit permission from the owner of the interest in the real estate.
.
However, you could do this by having a revocable living trust drafted and transferring the house into the trust. You could then make your partner the beneficiary of the trust and upon your death the trustee would just have a deed drafted to transfer the property to partner. Since the trust is revocable, you can remove the house from the trust at any time during your life by simply directing the trustee to reconvey it back to you via a new deed from trust to you personally.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a revocable living trust in this format that I can review. If I decide to do this can I do it through you or do I need to contact a local attorney?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Here at JustAnswer, the legal experts can't draft legal documents for customers as that requires an attorney-client relationship that can only be entered into with a local attorney.
.
However, there are several online sites that I recommend and actually use myself for professionally drafted legal documents. Rocketlawyer will actually walk you through preparing your own legal documents, including trusts, and USlegalforms.com will allow you to download standard templates and modify them to suit your needs. USlegal also has a "preview" feature that lets you see what you are buying before you pay for it. Both sites offer state specific forms that comply with all laws of the state where they are drafted.
.
Otherwise, you would need to visit a local estate planning or probate attorney to have them draft the trust for you. But just be aware, the cost of doing it yourself online will be a tiny fraction of the cost of hiring an attorney and will be just as legally binding. I will pinch a penny until it squeals so I hate to see customers pay attorneys exorbitant fees to do something that is mostly template based. (that is probably why I will never be rich from being an attorney....I tell customers the shortcuts...)
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs