How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask William B. Esq. Your Own Question

William B. Esq.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8183
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
William B. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a summons for unpaid credit debit from about 6 years

Resolved Question:

I got a summons for unpaid credit debit from about 6 years ago. I was wondering if I contact the firm handling it will they settle with me outside of court or will I have to appear and will I need a lawyer to handle it? Also, will I need to pay the entire sum or will they let me make payments?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  William B. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that you have been served in this matter. In Ohio, the statute of limitations for written contract (such as your credit card debt) is 8 years. This means that the civil action for collections against you is still valid, and that you will need to defend the action in order to avoid having a "default" taken against you.

You can always contact the other attorney and speak to him about settlement opportunities. There are various ways to go about negotiating a settlement, some debtors like to do so before they file an answer, others wait until after they have filed an answer to open settlement negotiations because the creditor will have lost the opportunity for an "easy" default judgment. You can ask for a lump sum payment plan (usually the easiest to settle with), or a payment plan. The creditor does not have to settle the case with you, but it is generally in their best interest to find a way to collect money in the most efficient manner possible, as opposed to simply pursuing you in litigation.

In response to the lawsuit, you will need to file an Answer to the complaint before the last day to respond passes. If you do not answer in time, the creditor will get a default judgment against you, meaning you lose the case and do not have the right to appear or defend against it. The creditor would then be able to use wage garnishment, bank levies, and property levies to collect the debt. If you appear and litigate the case, you can do so without an attorney, however if it is a substantial debt, you may wish to consider hiring one as it is usually far more helpful to be represented in these matters.

(This is for Lucas Ohio, but the information regarding litigation in the state is the same throughout):

I hope the above is helpful, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know and I will follow up quickly.

Thank you for using our service, please do not forget to rate my answer when you are satisfied. I do wish you the best of luck in this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I should have added in my initial question that it is past the date I was given, the letter was sent to an old address and by the time it was forwarded to me it was too late. How should I best go from here?

Expert:  William B. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If a default has actually already been entered against you, you can file a motion to set aside the default.

There are 2 steps to a default judgment (they can be taken together, but it is worthwhile to know the distinction when you call the Court clerk to check the status of your case, or when you go online if your case file is posted there).

Step 1: the defendant fails to answer the complaint or appear in the matter. The Plaintiff "takes the Defendant's default"

Step 2: only after the court has entered this default into the docket, can the plaintiff apply for a judgment. (A "default judgment" - which is really just the same as any other judgment in favor of the creditor).

You can move to set aside both a default, and a default judgment. To do so, make a simple motion to the court (a template can be found here: explain the circumstances as to why you failed to respond in time ("mistake, surprise, or excusable neglect"), and attach a copy of your proposed answer if the Court does set aside the default and allow you to appear.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8183
Experience: Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
William B. Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.