Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My tenant was arrested for domestic violence for assaulting

My tenant was arrested for domestic violence for assaulting his wife who presented on my doorstep the night he beat her with a swollen eye and numerous hematomas. The officer who arrested my tenant told me to do a three day eviction. This I did 1 week ago. The tenant is still in jail. He is aware of the three day eviction and has a notice. The wife gave me written permission to move all of their remaining possessions out of my unit after she took what was necessary for herself and her children as she left the state. The tenant gave me verbal consent to move his possessions to a storage area. My husband witnessed this consent. We went to the jail, had a scheduled video apt with the tenant. Am I ok to move his possessions?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
The wife gave me written permission to move all of their remaining possessions out of my unit after she took what was necessary for herself and her children as she left the state. The tenant gave me verbal consent to move his possessions to a storage area. My husband witnessed this consent. We went to the jail, had a scheduled video apt with the tenant. Am I ok to move his possessions?
.
If the wife was a resident in the apartment and on the lease, then her written permission would be enough for you to be able to move the property without violating the law. If she isn't on the lease as a tenant, then even though you have verbal permission from the tenant in jail, I would be much more comfortable with a written signed permission unless you recorded him verbally granting you permission.
.
It is unlikely that anything would ever come of this if you moved the property now, but it is better to be overly cautious in situations like this and see if you can get his written permission.
.
As an aside, I have also been a landlord for over 24 years and have only been sued once....and the tenant lost..
.
.
Thanks