Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Apparently, I did not see this source of information regarding

Apparently, I did not see this source of information regarding the RicheyLaw Group and have paid them $3600 to assist us with a foreclosure. Sue Leonard is the one we were dealing with and now we cannot get any answers on what has been done and also what communication they haave had with our mortgage company. Where can we go to get help? I believe that they are perpetrating a scam and now I don't know where to get help. Can you refer us to an agency that can help? How can I file a complaint and get my money back or is it lost?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under federal law, it is illegal for them to charge up front fees to assist with modifications to avoid foreclosure. See: Federal Trade Commission. You would start by filing a complaint with the FTC. You should also file a complaint with the NJ Attorney General's Office, since there have been complaints about unfair and deceptive practices as well. Finally, you need to contact the NJ bar, since there is an attorney by that name in NJ and if she is not performing as she promised for you then you need to file a complaint against her there.

Also, you can file suit against the group in small claims court to recover your money since it sounds from you like they took it contrary to federal law and also that they are not performing as agreed upon in breach of their contract with you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The RicheyLaw Group is located in California however we have been told that there is a NJ office and they are licensed to practice Law in NJ Do I still proceed against them with a complaint with the NJ Bar Association? Sue Leonard (Legal Intake Specialist) is the person we were dealing with and I do not have the name of a lawyer in NJ or in fact in California. Do I file a complaint with the California Bar Association? Don't I need the name of a lawyer to do this?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, they practice in NJ through contract attorneys. There is an attorney by the name Susan Leonard in NJ, I am not sure if you are dealing with the same person, but because you are dealing with them in NJ they are practicing law in NJ and as such you would file your complaints in NJ with the Bar and Attorney General as well as the FTC.

You need the name of the law group and the person you are dealing with there, that is all you have or need for the bar and the rest of your complaints as well.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law