How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37573
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My live in babysitter left my 9 y/o with a friend of hers all

This answer was rated:

My live in babysitter left my 9 y/o with a friend of hers all night last week while she went to Raleigh and partied. I had no idea until her friend told me and am beyond livid. Is there anything I can do?

Rather than me go through a laundry list of possibilities, tell me what you would like to accomplish, and maybe I can help you get there.

Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This girl has caused me so much trouble. I am wanting to file criminal charges if I can. I also know that her friend she left here with my daughter (who is 20) isn't even allowed to see her own 2 kids b/c of an ongoing investigation with her and her bf surrounding broken bones to her 3 month old

Okay, give me about 10 minutes, and I'll check the penal code to see if there's an applicable statute that you might be able to use.

Back in a few.
I'm back.

N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-316.1 provides that a person who neglects a child commits a misdemeanor. Neglect in this case is defined as: "Creates or allows to be created serious emotional damage to the juvenile; serious emotional damage is evidenced by a juvenile's severe anxiety, depression, withdrawal, or aggressive behavior toward himself or others."

So, if your child came back and was terrified at being left with a complete stranger, then that would be a crime under NC law and you can contact local law enforcement and make out a report.

That's really the only law that I can find which may apply to your circumstances.

The only other thing that you can do would be to sue the babysitter for negligent infliction of emotional distress,. You could sue in district court/small claims and probably get $1,000 in damages. That would certainly give the babysitter a wake-up call. Then, you could garnish her wages -- which would certainly teach her a lesson.

That's everything there is under NC law. There would be more, if the child were physically injured, exposed to sexual exploitation, etc. But, just leaving the child with a stranger doesn't leave a lot of options.

Please let me know if I can clarify my answer or be of further assistance.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Even with the individual she was left with being investigated by child services?

The criminal law requires some sort of voluntary act by a person which is intended to or which actually causes an injury to a victim. Placing the child in circumstances where there is a "substantial risk of serious physical other than accidental means," would be another means of charging the babysitter with criminal child neglect.

But, just because the individual is being investigated by child services, doesn't make leaving the child with that person a crime.

It does give you plenty of evidence that the babysitter committed negligent infliction of emotional distress. But, that's not a crime -- it's a civil lawsuit, and you would have to do that yourself. Law enforcement cannot assist.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37573
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions