How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116140
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson is married and has a newborn who we are not allowed

This answer was rated:

My grandson is married and has a newborn who we are not allowed to see. His wife and her mother have afftectively turned him against us as we did not support them getting married as he was 17 and she was 18, he was still in high school when they became engaged.
Their youth pastor has been alienated as well because he wanted 1 year of pre marital counciling prior to performing their wedding vows.
The wife's family is "cult like" and find joy in hurting my daughter.
The wife has told slanderous lies to my grandson which keeps him continously angry with his blood family.
I am a nurse, my daughter is a school teacher, we both have been loving and kind to these peoiple but I have a difficult time seeing my daughter hurt this way.
Is there any ideas how we can rectify this issue?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am very sorry to say that in WA there are effectively no grandparents or great grandparents rights. The seminal case by the US Supreme Court came out of WA and it crushed the rights of grandparents to seek rights to have visitation with their grandchildren or great grandchildren by stating that the right of the parent to decide the best interests of their children is a "fundamental right" meaning it was a basic human right, that would not be interfered with by the courts unless the parents were proven to be unfit. See: TROXEL V. GRANVILLE 530 U.S. 57 (2000); 137 Wash. 2d 1, 969 P.2d 21, affirmed.

Thus, I am afraid that legally if the parents will not let the grandparents or great grandparents see the child, there is nothing in the WA law that can be used to make them do so. The only thing you can do I am afraid is remain there for him and not be critical of him or his family until he eventually realizes that you love him and have not been trying to hurt him. But if you are looking for the law to help you, I am afraid the US Supreme Court put an end to that type of help.

If he rejects counseling or even his pastor, I am afraid he is of the age he can do so (of course he is also of the age where nobody knows anything and he knows everything) and all you can do is just remain supportive and hope he comes back around, most times they do unless they are pressured and humiliated to the point that they turn their backs completely.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you