Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I filed a personal injury by mail with the disctrict court

I filed a personal injury by mail with the disctrict court in Denver. Was I suppose to send copies of this to the defendants? They do know I am filing a suit as I told them this in the demand letter. I filed with courts on time before the statute ended, but if I was suppose send them copies then have I lost because I didn't send them copies on time?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

You were supposed to have them served on the defendants, usually by a deputy or a private process server.

Dwayne B. :

When did the injury occur and when did you file the lawsuit?

Customer:

it occurred 2 years ago on September 2nd.

Dwayne B. :

When did you file the lawsuit? Also, was this the result of a car wreck?

Customer:

No. The landlord did not mitigate damages to my apartment after it flooded with human urine and feces due to a root found in the main sewage line. Due to this I became ill and had to drop out of graduate school. I broke the lease and moved out per my doctor. They created false invoices to show that they had cleaned the unit thus I had no right to break the lease. They gave these invoices to a collection agency as well. I have proof they created false invoices - the rental insurance rep took pics on the days they claim to have cleaned the unit so if I can't do a personal injury now couldn't I do something with fraud? That's another question which I can ask separately so you are paid appropriately though.

Customer:

I filed with the courts on September 2nd of this year

Dwayne B. :

Since it is only a few days later you can still have them served with the papers and you should be okay. The courts allow a "reasonable time" after a lawsuit is filed to have the other party served.

Customer:

Really? Its been ten days.

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

Can I rate this question and then ask you another one on this same chat

Dwayne B. :

Sure.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
It switched formats so we can either continue in this format or ask another one and do it in chat, whichever you prefer. If you open a new one start it with FOR DWAYNE B and i'll pick up as soon as I see it.
Dwayne B., Attorney