Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

My sister passed away October 29, 2011. There are four surviving

My sister passed away October 29, 2011. There are four surviving syblings. One of the syblings came up with a will naming her the sole heir of the deceasd's estate. This will is presently being contested as to its validity in the Cook County Illinois probate court. The sister that passed away hated with a passion one of the syblings and would never want any of her estate go to this person (we all knew that).
However, I understand, that if this will contest is successfull, and the so called will is thrown out, that this person would receive an equal share. Is there any way that this person can be excluded from receiving anything from the deceased person's estate?

Good morning, John, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you in any way I can and to give you the most accurate Answer under the laws of Illinois,

Please keep in mind that when you are leaving a rating, it is my service to you that you are rating and not if you like or agree with the law applicable to your situation,

If the will contest is successful and the will is thrown out, it will be as if your sister passed away without a will, what the law calls "intestate". When a decedent passes away intestate, then the intestacy laws take effect. So, if your sister did not have a husband or children and you and your other siblings are the only next of kin living heirs, then all of you would share equally. I am sorry to say this, but the sister that she did not like will also share equally because that is what the Illinois Intestacy law requires,

I wish I could give you the Answer you want to hear, and it would have given me great pleasure to do so, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give only correct answers, so I am respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me because you are rating my service to you and not if you like or agree with the law,

Please be kind enough to give a raing of "Excellent Service" because that is the only way that I will receive credit for my time and effort in researching your question and furnishing you with Answers. It will not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating,