Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have seen a lawyer for a divorce and met with him with my

I have seen a lawyer for a divorce and met with him with my husband to begin negotiations. I do not want to go to court. Since that time, I have emailed information but he did not respond for several weeks and when I emailed a couple of times again, he responded with a short one liner - what do you want me to advise you about?   You are giving me information, What do you want me to do? When I emailed his assistant for an appointment so I could better understand the situation, I got no response. We must have a personality problem and a communication one.  I can get no response to emails from him. What is he doing?  Does he have to notify me if he is no longer my attorney?

Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,

An Attorney cannot represent both parties in a divorce because the Attorney would have a conflict of interest and he could get his License to practice law suspended for something like this. It would make no difference whether you went to Court or not, this Attorney is doing something unethical and which is prohibited by our Code of Conduct.. I am surprised that he met with both of you to begin with. He may not have realized it at the time he was meeting with you, but he should realize it by now. He should have at least given you the courtesy of a response to your emails telling you that he cannot represent both of you. You should call his office and, if necessary, speak to his assistant and ask about this conflict of interest and not being able to represent both of you.

ANDREA

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He is representing me - the meeting was to begin a negotiation. I guess he wanted to know what we both wanted and to get more information. I was supposed to get back with him with the name of an appraiser. I took an extra week to do that. I sent other info and he didn't respond.

I waited two weeks. I thought he might be busy. I emailed again and he replied with the short one liner.

I emailed several more times but he said I was just giving him info and to tell him what to do. I was confused.

I emailed the assistant and asked for an appointment - no response.

I emailed him 2 more times - no response.

Does he have to notify me if he has dropped me. It is a negotiation, not a court case at this point.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Your Attorney has ethical and Professional obligation to communicate with you and tell you exactly what he is going to do to move your case along. The Attorney must communicate with you regarding the status of the case. When you provide information to your Attorney, it is the Attorney's duty to inform you what he is going to use the information that you have provided to him for and not ask what you want to do. Also, if the Attorney is no longer representing you, the Attorney must send you a formal notice that he is no longer representing you.

Based on the information that you have provided here, you would be better off at this early stage to look for another Attorney. Once you have found another Attorney, you would then inform the Attorney that he is fired and to return all the documents that you provided to him. Your new Attorney may also contact the Attorney to request the documents transfer. However, it is better that you do it, to make it clear to the Attorney that his services are no longer needed because of his inaction and lack of communication with you.

You can use the following sites to find local divorce Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

You are quite Welcome!

Have a wonderful day
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.