Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am a truck driver/contractor. The company that I previously

I am a truck driver/contractor. The company that I previously had a contract with obtained a printout from a medical facility without my permission. This has nothing to do with drug testing, they were trying to verify my DOT physical. This company did not pay for the physical I did cash. Nor do they pay any health related benefits. Based on the printout given to them which included dates that I was seen by doctors, what I was seen for and how much I paid, my contract was termanated! I was making $93,000 a year when I was let go. Do I have a privacy case for lost wages against the medical provider? Under HIPPA

Dwayne B. :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

Dwayne B. :

Unfortunately, no. I think it is clear there was a HIPAA violation and you could certainly file a complaint with the state licensing agency but the courts have ruled that an individual cannot bring a lawsuit for an entity revealing personal medical information when they are not supposed to.

Dwayne B. :

Your only options under HIPAA are to file a complaint with the state licensing agency or to file a complaint with the state Attorney General.

Customer:

What about under right of privacy?

Dwayne B. :

No, all rights of privacy as far as medical records are now covered under the HIPAA rules. There is a possibility that if your medical records have information on some type of disability or something then you could pursue a case for that but not for disclosure of the medical records.

Dwayne B. :

I have seen a new trend lately where lawyers are trying to sue in similar circumstances alleging a breach of contract since you didn't authorize them to release the records and you anticipated they would be private.

Dwayne B. :

I haven't seen any case go up on appeal on that issue but it might work.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for your time.

Dwayne B. :

I'm sorry I didn't have better news. We were all caught by surprise when the courts ruled this way.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.