Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I received a negative review at work after filing a complaint

I received a negative review at work after filing a complaint regarding bullying...is it legal to give me a negative review when I never received any "counseling" regarding any of the issues mentioned

Dwayne B. :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

Dwayne B. :

Unfortunately, in Texas there is no requirement that any counseling be given or other actions taken prior to being given a negative review or a "black mark" on your records.

Dwayne B. :

Texas has very, very lax laws regarding what an employer is allowed to do.

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please do not issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.

Customer:

would it be better to write a "rebuttal" to the review or leave it stand

Dwayne B. :

If the company would allow it then it would likely be better to put a letter in your file sttaing your side of the issue.

Customer:

how much of this negative review would be disclosed to future employers...? if I leave now will I become a DNR?

Customer:

is it better to stay and hope for a better review in 3 months...

Dwayne B. :

Many employers are choosing not to release anything other than confirmation of the work dates. That isn't regulated by law in Texas, they can sat what they want, but it would be unusual for them to do more than confirm that you were employed on the days you say you were employed.

Dwayne B. :

If you thinkthat you can waut and raise your ratings then you might want to consider it.

Customer:

is there anything special I should do to protect myself...

Customer:

is there anything special I should be doing to protect myself...

Dwayne B. :

No, theres not a lot you can do yet. If you find out they are actually giving a bad reference then toy can hire a lawyer to threaten them and see if they will back off

Dwayne B. :

Any other question I can assist you with before I exit to help others?