Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

att uverse high speed internet.

In november of 2011 I signed up for att uverse high speed internet. The equipment was returned during the 30 day trial period, during which time I was allowed to return it with no charge. ATT is now sending me to collections agencies, which are ruining my credit rating for a fraudulent bill. ATT has admited to having a record of the equipment being returned during the trial period, but refuses to drop the charges. Can I sue them for breach, or for damagingf my credit rating by placing fraudulent charges on my report? After speaking with ATT each  time, I was assured that the charges would be dropped.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Your question was "Can I sue them for breach, or for damagingf my credit rating by placing fraudulent charges on my report?"

Dwayne B. :

The answer is yes.

Dwayne B. :

Since they are the original creditor you cannot sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act or the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act but you can still sue them under a breach of contract cause of action as well as a slander/libel cause of action.

Dwayne B. :

A breach of contract lawsuit would also allow you to recover any attorney's fees you have to incur in the lawsuit.

Customer:

Can you represent me and how do I start the process?

Dwayne B. :

No, we're not allowed to represent people that come to the website. We are only allowed to provide information.

Dwayne B. :

The first step would be to locate an attorney in your area that does either Civil Litigation or Consumer law.

Customer:

Can you recommend a local firm that could represent me?

Dwayne B. :

You can find them at www.lawyers.com.

Customer:

Thank you

Dwayne B. :

They will then send a final demand letter and prepare the lawsuit for filing.

Dwayne B. :

The good part is companies like AT& T are generally pretty easy to beat in a case like this.

Customer:

You have been very helpful !!

Dwayne B. :

Many times as soon as their lawyer get involved they try to get the case settled.

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome.

Dwayne B. :

Anything else I can assist with before I exit to help others?

Customer:

I believe that covers it. THanks again and have a wonderful day.

Dwayne B. :

You're welcome!

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work. The website only gives credit to the expert if you give a Positive Rating.

Customer:

Dewayne B. was extremely helpful. He answered all of my questions quickly and clearly, and in language I could understand without a law degree. He was very thorough in explaining exactly what I could do and even suggested a website where I could find a local attorney to handle the problem I had.Due to my extremely high level of satisfaction and the expert advice I received I will be continuing my subscription with justanswer.com legal advice. I only wish I could put into words exactly how helpful this site and their experts really are. Five stars doesen't even begin to cover it.