Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Not sure who gets this. Prevention of medical malpractice

Not sure who gets this. Prevention of medical malpractice / complaints. I had a patient threatent to kill a fellow doctor, then while beating on my desk with his fist and scream when I get pissed off I just attack people. The patient wanted Xanax. So, I called the police end of day for an escort to my car. Do I have the legal right to tell them who I am concerned about or is it a breach of confidentiality? I sure don't want to be sued nor do I want to violate patient confidentiality. Should I have given the police the patients name for their report?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

You don't have anything to worry about. You can report criminal or suspected criminal behavior on HIPAA premises to the police without violating HIPAA.

Dwayne B. :

1. Providers may disclose PHI that they believe necessary to prevent or lessen a

1. serious and imminent physical threat to a person or the public, when such disclosure is made to someone they believe can prevent or lessen the threat (including the target of the threat).

Dwayne B. :

You can look at a doc put out by NY that addresses this at

Dwayne B. :

But that is the rule everywhere