Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
54899578

I am not a live in girlfriend but dated a man staying with

Customer Question

I am not a live in girlfriend but dated a man staying with him a few times a week for 6 months. He never told me he was sick or did he look it. He made many promises to me including he would pay off my mortgage if I Did not see anyone else. He is very wealthy and died 2 weeks ago. Can I make a claim on his estate for his promises?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Were these promises verbal or did you have anything from him in writing that stated that he would do these things for you?

Was there anyone else that possibly witnessed any of your conversations regarding these payments for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was all verbal. Too bad! The only witness I had is his son when he told him to give me football tickets for my brother. Now he refuses to give it to me. The family is very mean and did not even want me to visit him when he took sick. i
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Honestly, it is extremely difficult to prevail on a claim that is based on a verbal promise and/or contract.

In most cases, it's a he said/ she said situation, however with your ex-boyfriend dead, his family would simply deny that any of this occurred, and it would basically be impossible for you to prove otherwise with you being the only witness to the promises that were made.

So, while you could make a claim on the estate based on these verbal promises, it is highly unlikely to succeed.

(It would be another story if you had something in writing, an email, or voicemails that stated this, but with just your word to go on, I'm afraid that you'd be facing a very hard uphill battle in proving your claim).

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I make trouble with the estate so they would give me money to go away. I am an elegant 65 year woman and he was a young 75. They have been saying very mean things about me that are not true. They told me I was a gold digger because I asked them for the football tickets for my brother. They said horrible things to me that I do not deserve. By email. I would like to upset their estate.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely possible that they would give you money to go away, but there's no guarantee that that will happen if you choose to file a claim to upset the estate.

Not all people chose to respond in this fashion and they may just chose to contest any of your claims (in court if necessary). And, as I mentioned before, unfortunately, they would probably be successful in doing so.

If you are interested in pursuing this, it's best to speak to a local attorney to get advice and see if he would then contact them on your behalf to suggest settlement possibilities as your representative. If there's bad blood between you and them, it's unlikely that they would respond to your claims or settlement offers with anything but more hostility.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-joepatterson/

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph