How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not a live in girlfriend but dated a man staying with

Customer Question

I am not a live in girlfriend but dated a man staying with him a few times a week for 6 months. He never told me he was sick or did he look it. He made many promises to me including he would pay off my mortgage if I Did not see anyone else. He is very wealthy and died 2 weeks ago. Can I make a claim on his estate for his promises?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Were these promises verbal or did you have anything from him in writing that stated that he would do these things for you?

Was there anyone else that possibly witnessed any of your conversations regarding these payments for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it was all verbal. Too bad! The only witness I had is his son when he told him to give me football tickets for my brother. Now he refuses to give it to me. The family is very mean and did not even want me to visit him when he took sick. i
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, it is extremely difficult to prevail on a claim that is based on a verbal promise and/or contract.

In most cases, it's a he said/ she said situation, however with your ex-boyfriend dead, his family would simply deny that any of this occurred, and it would basically be impossible for you to prove otherwise with you being the only witness to the promises that were made.

So, while you could make a claim on the estate based on these verbal promises, it is highly unlikely to succeed.

(It would be another story if you had something in writing, an email, or voicemails that stated this, but with just your word to go on, I'm afraid that you'd be facing a very hard uphill battle in proving your claim).

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I make trouble with the estate so they would give me money to go away. I am an elegant 65 year woman and he was a young 75. They have been saying very mean things about me that are not true. They told me I was a gold digger because I asked them for the football tickets for my brother. They said horrible things to me that I do not deserve. By email. I would like to upset their estate.
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
It's definitely possible that they would give you money to go away, but there's no guarantee that that will happen if you choose to file a claim to upset the estate.

Not all people chose to respond in this fashion and they may just chose to contest any of your claims (in court if necessary). And, as I mentioned before, unfortunately, they would probably be successful in doing so.

If you are interested in pursuing this, it's best to speak to a local attorney to get advice and see if he would then contact them on your behalf to suggest settlement possibilities as your representative. If there's bad blood between you and them, it's unlikely that they would respond to your claims or settlement offers with anything but more hostility.

Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Joseph and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions