Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a dismissed peace order affect the imigration status (coming

Can a dismissed peace order affect the imigration status (coming back and forth to the US) because the complaaint is still in public records (Maryland)
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is tentatively no. Peace and Protective Orders are civil orders under MD Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 3-1503. As such, they have no direct bearing on one's immigration status, even if public record.

While U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement have the right to refuse entry to anyone and the US Consular agent abroad may disapprove a visa simply based on "feeling," the fact that this is a CIVIL matter does not immediately invalidate one's visa, nor is it regularly pulled up when one is entering or leaving the USA.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this answer include sitting for the N Y Bar exam if the dismissed order is a foreign national (English)?
.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Friend,

Can you please clarify? Are you asking if the same applies if the person against whom the order was taken out for applies to the NY Bar?

And what of the foreign nationality - is the order from there, or the individual? Can you please clarify?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be vague. The foreign national (English) not a US citizen, is here in US. She received a Peace order against her that was dismissed in court in Maryland. She is to take the NY bar this spring. She is concerned that the dismissed order will hider her travels back into the US once she leaves to go to England for a visit.Also she is concerned about long term effect of this dismissed order.The order was taken out in State of Maryland.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be vague

No worries.

Per immigration matters, the peace order should not affect it.

Per the NY Bar, this is different. While the application is not going to ask for CIVIL matters, the NY Bar may still see it on the background and flag it as part of moral standing of the applicant. However, this is dealt with on a case by case basis. Most of the time, it is not an issue provided the applicant can explain what happened.

Also she is concerned about long term effect of this dismissed order.

Generally speaking, this should not be an issue as explained above. It is a CIVIL matter.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your gratuity.