Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have a for profit corporation registered in Georgia named

I have a for profit corporation registered in Georgia named Camp Anderson.
This corporation is in the process of becomming a georgia 501c3.
My corporation is the "Ministry" arm of a camp that handles the finances for a camp ministry that operates on a leased property that is near Gainesville florida.

The owner of the property that I lease would like to start a separate florida based 501c3 that would have a separate set of directors from the georgia corporation above. The property owner would like to name the florida ministry "Camp Anderson" also.

We both want to use the "Camp Anderson " name as it makes it easier for both of us to get donations for our non -profit corporations.

This clairify.....
1. the board of directors are completely different with the two corporations.
2. The finances are completely different and separate for the two corporations.

Can we both legally have the same name "Camp Anderson" with one intitiy being in Georgia and the other being in florida?

If it is legal, what are the issues or potential pitfalls with this type of arrangement?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If you both name your companies the same name, it would violate state and federal law. Only one entity can have the same name, and if he wishes to start his own 501c3, it will NOT be granted if your name is XXXXX XXXXX file. He has to change his name before he files. Even if the board is different and the finance are different, you both CANNOT have the same name. A 501c3 is federally granted, not on a state level--so only one can have the same name at a time.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the Florida corporation is named "Camp Anderson" and the Georgia corporation is named "Camp Anderson Ministries"

will that satisfy the legal problems....or if that is not a solve, what do you suggest?

Thank you for your follow-up. Provided the names are different (and that qualifies), the IRS should not have an issue accepting both applications if they are both valid and legitimate. That change should likely be sufficient in this instance.

Good luck.