How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do if I feel I was retaliated against for reporting

Resolved Question:

What do I do if I feel I was retaliated against for reporting my neighbor (a dpm) for hippa violations. The OCR never did talk to me but made him bring his organization into compliance. His lawyer said they didn't believe I could have the pieces of medical records I did but I'm assuming the government believed me b/c they gave him list of stuff to do to come into compliance and closed the case. Then I got sued for stalking listing the times I have reported him to the authorities (and with him having consequences - not bogus reports) and one of the reasons listed was me reporting him to the OCR. The judge threw it out but I still had to hire a lawyer and take off work. And at the same time they sued me, they put up a video camera on the top of their house and you cannot move on my property anywhere and not get video taped b/c it is motion censored. He has retaliated against me before when my complaints caused the state's attorney to make him obey the law. I'm a nurse and no one is above the law. However, now I'm paying for reporting him. Do I need a lawyer? If so how do I find one since it's not like my work place is retaliating against me for reporting them
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

As I understand your situation, your neighbor, whom is a doctor and whom you have reported for HIPPA violations, is retaliating against you by setting up a camera on top of his house which looks onto your property. In the past he has retaliated by suing you for stalking. However, you won this lawsuit and had his case dismissed.

You can sue the doctor for "malicious prosecution" for the filing of the frivolous stalking lawsuit against you. You can also sue the doctor for invasion of privacy for setting up the camera which is looking down onto your property.

In Illinois, Malicious Prosecution is the claim you can bring when you can prove: (1) the defendant brought a civil or criminal suit against you maliciously and without probable cause; (2) you won the lawsuit; and (3) this has caused you special damages beyond the usual expense, time or annoyance of defending the underlying lawsuit.

Further, under Illinois law, if a neighbor's security camera is pointed so that it captures what is going on inside your home (i.e., it is directed at your windows or at your back yard specifically), then you may take legal action to force the neighbor to direct the cameras under an invasion of privacy theory.

If you plan on bringing either of these claims, it would be best to do so through an attorney, as they are not simple claims and legal representation would be your wisest course of action.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.