Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My husband had a medical Pediatric clinic and became severely

My husband had a medical Pediatric clinic and became severely ill to the point of having to close the practice in the State of Alabama. The state medical examiner phoned today and emailed me the suggested protocol for closing a medical practice.
There are 8,500 pts records. Patients that where active in the clinic where notified to pick up the medical records. Some did, others requested the records and never picked them up.
Recommendations are unreasonable for notification and storage of records for 10 years is impossible.
Please advise as to the legal implications. My husband is unable to return to work and will not renew his medical liscence. Within the next month our plans are to move to Florida to a retirement communication with adequate facility for my husband.
Thank you for your reply in advance.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, failure to comply with the record keeping requirements under HIPAA (depending on the type of records this is 10 years in AL since last visit and hospital records under AL law must be retained 22 years) can be grounds for the Department of Health to fine your husband, even if he does not renew his license, and can even lead to criminal HIPAA violations. The records you have can be transferred to another physician who is willing to take over his practice or they have to be placed in storage somewhere secure because loss of these medical records or failure to protect the patient's privacy can also lead to civil and criminal sanctions from the US Department of Health and Hospitals under HIPAA.

You need to get the records to a storage facility I am afraid to protect your husband from suit for violation of the records retention laws or transfer them to a physician willing to take over his practice/clinic.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law