Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Kane Area School District extended the school day K-12, first

Kane Area School District extended the school day K-12, first without board approval, then realized they needed. Did they also need approval from the PA Dept. of Education and a mission statement and curriculum guidelines for each grade level. They also removed Art from grade 8 and replaced it with music. Do you need approval for this.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The PA Department of Education does not require local school districts to get approval from the Department to change school hours or even to decide which classes to hold and which classes not to hold, those decisions are left locally to the various individual school boards or school districts I am afraid.

Furthermore, these school boards do not make any decisions on these matters without reviewing their plans through their board legal counsel because these types of decisions are always highly contentious amongst parents and teachers alike, so the board legal counsel many times ultimately has to diffuse any legal challenges. However, in PA, each school district has the right to set their times of attendance and the classes offered by each school.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.