Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My wife and I are parents of a special needs child (8 yrs.).

My wife and I are parents of a special needs child (8 yrs.). We are having a transportation issue with the school. This is my son's fifth year riding the bus. Each year up until now, the district has provided door-to-door service for him. This year he does not receive this service. We requested that the service be restored. The school told us that our son's IEP had to be amended to reflect the transportation requirement. We had the IEP amended, and now they have come up with another excuse not to provide the service. None of the calls that I've made have been returned. I know they have to do this. What are my options concerning our next move to resolve this situation?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: You need to escalate your issue to the Superintendent of Schools. If the Superintendent tries to refer you to another department, tell the Superintendent that the buck stops at his or her desk because you have already gotten runaround from the director of special needs program, the Principal and the teacher. If he tries to refer you to another department, insist that his office handle the matter, otherwise you would file lawsuit against the school system for discrimination, for failure to provide your son with his desperately needed transportation to school.

You may retain an Attorney who handles school and education issues to file lawsuit against the school if the issue is not resolved in your favor. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com